Friday, February 27, 2009

To Go Global or To Not Go Global-A Question

Recently I was asked the question; “If there were a market for it, would you consider entering an international market for a product/service which you offered in your own enterprise?”

It occurred to me, to be a strange question; for I could not imagine anyone that would not want to become engaged in the international arena. Now, if what was meant by, “a market for it” was not a demand for the product or service but just an opportunity to sell; then I would need to determine if a demand existed before I made a decision. Also what is the “international market” being referred too; is it global in nature or geographically specific. For example, if the area was Somalia or North Korea, I may not want to participate, but if it was the entire international enviroment, I would certainly be interested.

Assuming my questioner meant global, then another variable must be given consideration; how is the distribution going to be executed. If it is going to be an internet platform only, then one can start with a same domestic site, but set it up to accept only credit cards for payment; along with an international shipping option. Many sites use PayPal as a source for payment, and UPS for shipping. As the business starts to reach outside the U.S., additional components can be added to the site; like a couple language modules. Also ads can be placed in different countries and in different languages; through Google Ad Sense to expand the reach.

However, if we are discussing shipping or providing a service to another country through an intermediary contact or retail outlet; then other things must be considered. First, even the largest corporations have difficulty executing a multi-country strategy of a product or service; so the task would be near impossible for an entrepreneur. To be prudent, one should do some analytical research on a few selected countries; examining the culture, government policies, buying habits, and other information in order to select a launch point. After the selection has been made, it would be wise to visit the county and the individuals with which you plan to develop the business model. Many cultures outside the U.S. value the personal relationship more than the business transaction; out of respect for them and their country a visit could produce solid life long contacts. Once these things are complete and the shipping, pricing, payment, etc is worked out; I would have no problem doing business.

The world is shrinking due to the Internet, global companies, trade agreements, more travel, open access communications in phones and television. International business only spells additional opportunity and increased exposure to additional new markets. Why would anyone not want to be involved, and as many are finding as I did; we are involved in the globalization whether we care to accept it or not so why not embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment